Friday 14 March 2014

"I wear whatever I've got on. No special outfits for me" - Amanda Blair talks cycling



Amanda Blair will be riding Bicycle SA's Free Family River Ride on Sunday 23 November. We had a few questions to ask her about her cycling habits... 


Bike SA: Lots of families just don’t have the time to get on bikes… but you do and you’re a pretty busy person. How do you manage it?
Amanda: Well, I'm not on the bike with the kids as often as I like due to a series of flat tyres (arghhhhh).....but when I am on the bike I find that it's often quicker to get to our destination if we cycle rather than drive. We are lucky to live close to the city and have many bike paths around us too which makes it easier.  It's a great way to get the kids used to the roads in the hope that in a few years they can ride themselves to school. 

Bike SA: What do you think should be done in Adelaide to get more families riding bikes? Safer streets? More events?
Amanda: I think we need to educate people about the advantages of cycling. For instance, the other day I was having a conversation with somebody who was complaining about how long it took her to drive to work from St Peters into the city. I said "why don't you ride your bike" and she just hadn't considered it even though she has a good bike in the shed. So, this week she called me to thank me for the suggestion as she's riding, her travel time has decreased dramatically and she's feeling healthier.  Would be great if people understood this. Perhaps if we had more cycling information days it would help. 

Bike SA: Any advice for families that are hesitating getting out on the bike for Boileau VeloAdelaide?
Amanda: Don't hesitate. As they say at Nike "just do it"

Bike SA: When you do get on the bike what do you wear? Lycra? Cycle Chic? Daggy commuter gear?   
Amanda: I wear whatever I've got on. No special "outfits" for me. Only lesson I've learned is that a pair of bike shorts work really well under a full skirt. There have been a few motorists on our streets who have seen more than they wanted to as I pulled up next to them at the lights..........

Amanda Blair is a  Broadcaster, columnist, mother of 4 and prize winning slice maker. She'll be riding in the Free Family River Ride on Sunday 23 March as part of the Boileau VeloAdelaide event. Come and join her by registering to ride! There are 5, 10 and 20 kilometre ride options for the whole family. Best of all, it's free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment